Saturday, June 24, 2006

Tenuous Connections - The Fall

The Fall aren't on my map. They probably could be or should be but I don't know where the connections may be until someone tells me.
Haven't The Fall had about 40 members? Given they're a northern band and I have Manchester connections on the map somewhere there's bound to be one.
There is one connection I know about, but 'tenuous' is too strong a word. Carl Burns (Fall drummer) once jammed with my band Emergency (later re-named Victim) when the Fall came over to Belfast in 1978/79 (?) at the time 'Bingo Masters Breakout' and 'Live At The Witch Trials' were released. This was in the notorious Harp Bar where we played fairly regularly. It's the place where our lead singer, Joe Zero, nearly got shot by the IRA for wearing a paratroopers cap on stage until the audience carried him to safety. Ahh memories.
Back to The Fall and Carl Burns. As an inexperienced punk musician at the time I remember the feeling of playing with 'a real drummer' - it was likely someone had put a different kind of engine oil into us. I suppose we jammed for no more than 5 or 10 minutes.
We played two gigs on consecutive nights and they stayed at my (mum's) house. Mid-set Mark E. Smith decided it would be a good idea to have a post-gig party and invited the whole audience back. The house was trashed. The RUC (police in armoured landrovers) were called and I was in trouble. Stairs, carpets, walls, beds, kitchen... the scene of devastation is re-emerging.
Anyway, they invited us back to Manchester to play at a venue called (I think) The Factory. All the Manchester names of the day were there. Tony Wilson was running the club, Jilted John was compere, Howard Devoto was in the audience. We had a mixing desk sound system too! We'd never had a proper PA!
We stayed on Carl Burns' floor and I seem to remember his dog crapped in my shoe.
Subsequently I've been told that Echo and the Bunnymen formed that weekend in his flat. Now I think this is pushing it and I'm not sure about the dates.
Strange thing is, if this is true, there's a kind of neat 'tenous tenous' connection because Oscar, the lead singer, of f-Stop and Colenso Parade from my map sounded like (based himselfon?) Ian McCullough. And I came across a statement somewhere about Colenso Parade while searching out info for the map, that he had been approached to replace McCullough though declined.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home