Sunday, April 23, 2006

Minimal songs


I’ve got bored with all the admin so I actually picked up the guitar today. I put together the simplest of songs, but that’s the way I like it. Musically it’s very close to other chord sequences I’ve put together and other rhythms and other dynamics. The tune is repetitive and simple. It has no chorus. Just an intro, a verse (that’s like the intro, but slightly different) and a linking bit.


So it doesn’t sound like much of a song. Not a lot of variety. But it’s this hypnotic, simplicity that really grabs me. Though it was just acoustic and vocal I can hear the dynamics. I can see how the song will grow as other instruments come in. Even the lyrics are repetitive. It worries me!


Either I’m really under some strange delusion or I have rediscovered the wonders of minimalistic song writing or… well anyway we’ll see.


The song’s about what do people see when they see me. Even when I see me I jump to conclusions or don’t recognise the person in the mirror. It’s like when you talk into a tape recorder and don’t fully recognise the voice. You don’t sound like you think you do.


Anyway, no big deal of a song – again it’s minimal.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home