Monday, April 17, 2006

Done but not dusted

The album is finally totally recorded and mastered. That's the good news. So let's release it - now! Well, I'm discoverring it's not that simple!
OK, so I knew what was coming, but I had to get the music done, if not dusted.
Dusting - this sounds like an entry for my other band, The Sinister Cleaners, but more on that later.
Dusting - yes, this is the bit where you have do all the other stuff like get the CD pressed, cover designed, budget identified (!), and promo stuff produced and decide who's going to get the promo stuff and how.
It's the last bit of this I've been putting some hours into recently and, until now, I hadn't given it too much thought at all. In the process I've realised that there's a hell of a lot of people releasing stuff (great) and a hell of a lot of channels for reviewing and playing stuff (great), but no John Peel (terrible), and no core music press (great and terrible). The last time I was involved in releasing stuff it was fairly straight forward to get UK national airplay (John Peel on BBC Radio 1 would always play everything a few times - and we got the royalty cheques to prove it) and if you sent enough copies to the NME, Sounds and Melody Maker, and one or two to the local press, you'd be sure to end up with a fair amount of attention and even some notoriety.
As I say, things have changed. We have the NME still, but it seems more like Smash Hits to me!
There are still interesting programmes on the BBC, but God knows how you get them to take notice. I'm going to find out I suppose.
Anyway, in the midst of all this, I've realised that I'm going to have to find something that catches the eye of one or two people. And I've found it!
I am related (musically) to The Smiths, The Wedding Present, The House of Love and The Undertones. I don't just mean influences - I mean I can draw lines that show I am at the centre of a Pete Frame type Rock Family Tree. And I will do this soon to prove it.
Now, before you start thinking this guy is just name dropping, look at it from my point of view. I'm desparate to find something that will vaguely raise the interest of one or two people who might then actually listen to what I'm doing.
Well, I think I'll leave it there for the moment as it's Peter Kay night on Channel 4 tonight - this is the only television I would ever watch. And I'm really hoping I can find a family tree connection to Peter Kay to add to my family tree, so I've got to go now. But I'll pick up this story soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home